Bless you, readers. Bleaders.

Thursday, October 16, 2003

A cold day in hell
I just finished a paper which is due in about an hour. This is not an unusual occurrence. What's weird is that even though I didn't start it till eleven o'clock last night, I feel pretty good about it. It's even the full required length and not unnecessarily fluffed-out. I feel like celebrating.

I had a crazy experience the other night, lasting from about 12:30-1:00 in the morning. I was talking to Tommy on AIM, and the conversation was cut short by my internet commending its spirit into the hands of the almighty computer in the sky. Which happens, from time to time, only in this case it wouldn't get its act together. Tried rebooting, physically shutting down and restarting, everything, but no dice. Also, instead of behaving in the way it usually does when the internet is just temporarily down, it was behaving in the way a computer that does not and never has had internet access does if you try to use it to look at a web page.

Pop-up: "You are a fucking moron. The internet? What do you think I am, some kind of computer? I mean, Jesus. Would you like to work offline, or try again? You probably want to try again, don't you? Don't you? Peh. Typical."

So I picked up my cell phone, thinking that all was not lost, but it was,because I had no signal. No signal! Preposterous! I took the thing outside and couldn't get a signal there, either. Which is when I noticed the weird odor. The air outside smelled as though someone had been setting off fireworks, or raising the dead. Very sulphury and electric and strange.

Weirded...out! I thought to myself as I went out back to smoke a clove. And then the sirens started! A firetruck/police combo was whizzing towards my neighborhood, then turning into it, then driving all around, then slowing to a halt in front of my house. I was wondering if my house was on fire without my noticing it somehow, but it rolled on past and turned on the street running perpendicular to mine. Weird. Unsettling.

I have no idea if any of these three things were related, but it all seemed quite bizarre nevertheless. At least civilization didn't come crashing down around us like I was afraid it would, just for a moment before I realized the sirens were a firetruck and a police car rather than, you know, an air raid.

On an unrelated note, you lurkers should comment once in a while! There's a nice little pop-up box for commenting and everything. I keep watching my hit count rise and wondering who's reading. Here's a topic for discussion: lizard-folk. Are they deserving of the same rights as human beings? How can we prepare for their eventual take-over of the planet? Please make sure that your answers are formatted according to MLA specifications.

I'm just kidding about that last part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home